Is something missing from your evening acne care regime? Enter night cream. This skincare specialist works while you sleep, so you wake up to a complexion that is brighter, healthier, and happier. Imagine that!
If breakouts are the bane of your existence, don’t let that get you down. A good night cream could be just the add-on that your PM routine needs.
The importance of night creams for acne
A night cream is basically a plussed-up version of your moisturiser. The formulation is richer than a regular lotion or cream, and it brings deeper hydration and nourishment.
But maybe you hesitate to apply creams for fear of oiliness and aggravating your breakouts. That is true for some of us with acne-prone skin. Just remember that under-moisturised skin is a problem as well. When the skin is too dry, the oil-producing glands go into overdrive and produce too much sebum (a natural oil). This leads to greasiness, clogged pores, and eventually acne.
How do night creams help? The right formula will hydrate your skin, combat the signs of acne, and help ensure a calm and clear complexion—all while you get a good night’s sleep.
Benefits of night cream
Good things are in store when you choose the right product for your needs. Here are some benefits of night cream that your complexion will love.
1. It provides deep hydration: Exposure to the sun, pollution, and dust throughout the day can dehydrate the skin. Night creams double down on dryness, moisturising the complexion all night long.
2. It has a soothing effect: Is your skin at its worst by the end of the day? A good night cream will soothe the irritation, bring down redness and inflammation, and leave your skin calmer.
3. It improves skin tone: When pimples heal, they may leave behind dark spots and an uneven skin tone. Some night creams contain active ingredients like Vitamin C and retinol, which minimise pigmentation and even out your skin tone.
4. It promotes cell renewal and repair: The rate of cell repair and renewal picks up pace while you sleep. Night cream encourages the production of new skin cells and helps repair the damage caused by acne.
5. It minimises acne symptoms: Night creams with acne-fighting ingredients target acne-causing bacteria. They also contain exfoliants to clear out the pores and prevent new flare-ups.
How to choose a night cream if you have acne
Night creams come in a range of formulations, contain different active ingredients, and tackle various skin concerns. If you plan on going skincare shopping anytime soon, here are tips to help you choose the right night cream for acne:
1. Check that it won’t clog the pores. Go for a night cream that is labelled ‘oil-free’ or ‘non-comedogenic’. Such formulas absorb into the skin easily, don’t leave a greasy residue, and won’t clog your pores.
2. Check the list of ingredients. Night creams for acne feature different actives to tackle different issues: Salicylic acid and retinol exfoliate and unclog pores (though they may dehydrate your skin). Hyaluronic acid, lactic acid, and glycolic acid offer gentle hydration. Antioxidants like Vitamin C brighten your skin tone. Meanwhile, peptides promote skin cell repair and ceramides strengthen the skin’s barrier function.
3. Check for allergens. Acne-prone skin is often sensitive, and some ingredients may worsen your lesions. If that’s you, buy a cream that is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free.
4. Consider the season. Watch how your skin behaves through the changing seasons. An intensive night cream may work beautifully through the dry winter months, but come summer and humidity, you may need to switch to something lighter.
(Here’s your all-in-one guide to choosing the best anti-acne cream)
The right way to use a night cream
What are the precautions and when should you stop using a night cream? As with any new product, it’s best to do a patch test first. If your skin responds well to the cream and there is no irritation, then it is safe to use. However, if your skin looks red, inflamed, and irritated, discontinue use right away.
Once you’re satisfied that the night cream suits your skin, add it to your acne care every evening. Cleanse your face and neck, pat dry, and swipe on some toner. When the toner has been absorbed, apply Clearica Anti-Acne Cream to reduce active lesions and prevent new zits. Finally, massage in a coin-sized amount of night cream. Since night creams are thicker than other moisturisers, a little bit goes a long way.
Now that your PM routine is done, settle down for some well-deserved beauty sleep. It’s time for the night cream to work its magic!
Disclaimer: This page is for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended as a recommendation or for diagnostic purposes. Please consult your dermatologist or doctor before acting on any of the information provided here.