Picture-perfect skin is clear, supple, free from pimples—and achievable! Thanks to skincare developments like acne laser treatment, the complexion of your dreams is within reach. Itching to know more? Let’s dive in to understand how acne laser treatments work and if a laser procedure could fix your blemish problem.
What are acne laser treatments?
Acne laser treatment is a cosmetic procedure that uses light therapy to minimize the appearance of breakouts, acne scars, and dark spots. Although acne laser treatment is generally safe, it’s best to have a trained dermatologist carry out the procedure.
The dermatologist will first inspect your skin to assess if you are a good candidate for laser therapy. Acne laser treatment may not be recommended if you have:
- Dark skin
- Highly wrinkled skin
- Severe acne that is prone to scarring
(Severe acne needs special treatment: Is it time to see a doctor?)
How does acne laser treatment work?
Dermatologists use a range of light-emitting devices to treat acne concerns. Here’s a sampling of how different laser therapies could benefit your acne-prone skin:
- Lasers may be combined with a vacuum to clear pore blockages and eliminate acne bacteria.
- Lasers targeting the sebaceous glands could trigger the glands to produce less oil.
- Lasers can help reduce the redness and inflammation of active acne lesions.
Although acne laser treatment is more effective when treating mild to moderate acne, there are laser solutions for severe acne as well. For example, photodynamic therapy could reduce the appearance of severe cystic acne. Here, the dermatologist would first apply a solution that makes acne-prone skin more sensitive to light. Then after allowing the solution to sit on the skin, lasers would be directed at the affected skin.
If you suffer from stubborn acne scars, some forms of laser treatment could help:
- Ablative laser treatment removes the top layer of skin around the scar. As the skin heals, the scar becomes less visible.
- Non-ablative laser treatment uses the heat from infrared lasers to trigger collagen production and encourage the growth of new and healthy skin cells. Fractioned laser resurfacing is a type of non-ablative treatment that stimulates the tissue under the scar to remove any hyperpigmented skin cells.
Can laser treatment get rid of acne?
First things first, laser therapy is not a miracle cure for acne and the results will vary from person to person. Acne laser treatment can eliminate blemishes temporarily but is not a permanent fix. Usually, the dermatologist will also recommend topical medication to ease your acne symptoms.
Sometimes multiple laser treatment sessions are required to see a significant change in your skin’s appearance and texture. Moreover, the results are not instant. It may take a few weeks after the treatment for blemishes to disappear.
What are the side effects of acne laser treatment?
Laser therapy for acne could leave you with mild pain, swelling, and redness in the affected area. Although the pain dissipates in a couple of hours, you may experience some discomfort initially. Redness due to the laser treatment could take several days to go away.
When should you worry? If the skin is too swollen, there is pus, or you are running a fever, contact the doctor right away.
Some people experience hyperpigmentation or infection after the procedure. But this is usually preventable. To safeguard your skin, check with the dermatologist beforehand about whether you might be at risk.
Special care before and after acne laser treatment
Acne laser treatment is safe, but you will have to take some precautions before and after the therapy.
- Inform your dermatologist about existing health conditions and any medication or supplements that you take. The doctor may advise you to stop taking some medicines that could delay wound healing. For example, blood thinners and Vitamin E supplements may need to be put on hold.
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before the procedure.
- Your skin will be very sensitive to the sun after acne laser treatment, so stay out of the sun and be generous with the sunscreen. Also, put away any skincare products that contain retinoids or glycolic acid for a few weeks.
How much does acne laser treatment cost?
Laser treatment for acne could cost anywhere from Rs 6,000 to Rs 30,000 per session. Your final bill will depend on several factors:
- How much skin is affected by acne or acne scars
- Whether the scars require a combination of therapies
- The experience and seniority of the dermatologist
Acne laser treatment is not enough
You also need a skincare routine to control breakouts. Incorporate gentle formulas like Clearica Anti-Acne Cleanser and Clearica Anti-Acne Cream into your skincare arsenal. Cleanse, tone, repair, and moisturize twice every day to clear the pores, inhibit acne bacteria, and keep your skin glowing with good health.